Christine's 2016 Reading Challenge

Thursday, February 04, 2016


I've decided 2016 will be the year I read quality over quantity, which is why my Goodreads Reading challenge is set to a rather measly 75 books. I promised myself I would avoid getting swept up by the hype of new releases and rather wait until my most trusted reviewers had voiced their opinions.

I've been reading stacks of YA fantasy, and quite honestly I think it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm sure everyone knows how horrible going through a book slump is. DNF after DNF, 1 and 2 star ratings galore, until you start wondering why you read or worse resenting your preferred genre. YA fantasy isn't a new genre for me nor is one that I've only read in passing. I used to read scads of it, until I discovered adult contemporary which I still love but it's been great getting back into YA. So without further ado here are my hopes and dreams for 2016 lol. 


Although not perfect I have to say January 2016 was quite a satisfying reading month. I had a few hiccups along the way but I'm happy to say that I bounced right back! 
And in no particular order...







Yup I loved these books so much I could cry. See a pattern? 
The Falling Kingdoms Series by Morgan Rhodes was so flippin good, the character development so so effortless. We're looking at 4 different POV's here people and not once did I feel like information was being dumped on me. I will admit that a certain Prince of Blood that goes by the name, Magnus stole my heart. I love him so much!!!
Queen of Traitors by Laura Thalassa is book 2 in the Fallen World Series and I cannot even begin to explain my feeling towards Serenity and Montes (main characters) It's a little bit dark, very dystopian, lots of action and buckets loads of sizzling romance. This series was my first NA Dystopian, it's edge of your seat and nail biting plot.
and last but not least...
The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Uuuuurgh kill me with beautiful words. It's described and I quote as 
A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights
and that it is people. This book that has the most epic romance and a dash of romance had me  completely slayed. That's all I can say about it, aside from 





Earth's End by Elise Kova


This is the 3rd book in the Air Awakened series by Elise Kova and I ship it so hard. The heroine Vhalla Yarl is one of my favourites, and Prince Aldrick is definitely one of my top book boyfriends. It's packed with action, adventure, romance and lotsa magic! Highly recommended!
The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh is the follow up to The Wrath and The Dawn which I loved. It's lush. wildly romantic with a touch of magic and fantasy.
The rest of the books in this list  I added because of coverly love and intriguing premise.




By series recommendation I mean books recommended to me by friends, and that I have added to my TOP TBR.
Cinder by Marissa Meyer, I have literally only heard good things about this series so I'm really looking forward to it.
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, I'm going to be honest, the triangle in this book is a slight turn off. But I'm going to try it because as much as I complain about triangles I tend to enjoy all the drama and ulcers that come with them.
The Selection by Kiera Cass, I think I'm a little too old to be reading this book lol. But it has high ratings so we shall see.



I'm trying to keep my reading shelf uncluttered, and I'm also trying to be a focused reader so I probably won't read more than 2 books at the same time. Last year I had some serious "readers ADD" and I felt like it took away from the enjoyment of getting embroiled in a good book.

I'm only 45% in, but I'm enjoying Touch of Power way more than I enjoyed Poison Study. I love Maria V. Snyder's unique writing, she writes the perfect combination of strong, stubborn heroine and strong alpha but compassionate hero. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the books in this series.



Now this is a tentative "next book" as I may change my mind. I don't have a plan for February as it all depends on how well I enjoy a book. I'm temperamental so I may DNF a book and not even add it on my read shelf. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad I happened upon this blog post (I follow you on FB, but hadnt realized until now that there was a blog) because I LOVED the Poison study series, but wasnt a fan of the Storm/Sea/Whatever Glass series. Now I know she has something else out that would be worth reading! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend recommended the Poison Study series to me and I I really enjoyed it! I read the blurb for Touch of Power and it got me really interested and I think it's just as good if not better than Poison Study. There's more magic in this one and I'm a sucker for that ;)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts