Christine's Review: Prisoner by Skye Warren and Annika Martin

Monday, October 27, 2014
SYNOPSIS

He seethes with raw power the first time I see him—pure menace and rippling muscles in shackles. He’s dangerous. He’s wild. He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

So I hide behind my prim glasses and my book like I always do, because I have secrets too. Then he shows up in the prison writing class I have to teach, and he blows me away with his honesty. He tells me secrets in his stories, and it’s getting harder to hide mine. I shiver when he gets too close, with only the cuffs and the bars and the guards holding him back. At night I can’t stop thinking about him in his cell.

But that’s the thing about an animal in a cage—you never know when he’ll bite. He might use you to escape. He might even pull you into a forest and hold a hand over your mouth so you can’t call for the cops. He might make you come so hard, you can’t think.

And you might crave him more than your next breath.


PURCHASE LINK


4 Who's The Prisoner Now Stars!


Now on the off chance this first bit sounds negative trust me, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just "covering my arse".


Now before you read this book you'll need to know a few things.

1. If you haven't read Wanderlust by Skye Warren then you should, because while this book isn't exactly the same it does follow along the same grain.
2. Insta-love. Beware.
3. Non-con some would argue and say it was slight reluctance, I'm just gonna warn you it's not completely consensual at times.
4. Alpha males (wait that's not a bad thing!)
5. This book was rather fast paced and not always in a good way.


And that's all the slightly negative stuff I will say about this book. Now if you read that top bit you're probably thinking. "Ooooh this is gonna be so dark!"
And I would tell you to hold your horses, while it is dark it isn't overly dark. It still tugs at those heartstrings and the hero is completely redeemable.


I feel like this book was tailor made for me. The whole falling for a prison inmate this is quite intriguing and of course there's the captive and captor dynamic but the best part is probably the chase. Abigail Winslow, is a bookworm, she's the epitome of a snooty librarian. As part of her uni project she has to give a English/Writing class at a prison which is where she meets Grayson. All it takes is one look and Abigail knows that Grayson would be very dangerous to the mask she's always held in place, the one that keeps people from seeing her less than savoury past and upbringing. And for Grayson, Abigail is a temptation, he's a man who hasn't had a woman in four years, but for some reason Abigails allure goes further than that. He has this deep need to turn her world upside down, to keep her innocence and that prim and proper exterior for himself.

Okay so without going to deeply into the actual plot, because quite honestly it's best not to read any reviews before reading this book. The book takes taboo/fantasy, now when I say fantasy I don't mean elves and leprechauns I mean your deepest darkest desires, stuff that you would never want to happen in real life but still fantasise about. If you're not into dubious consent or slight reluctance or whatever, then stay very far away from this book, but if this is your type of read then go for it! The hero is not a good man, but he feels so much for the heroine that you're willing to forgive him.


Maybe a normal guy would be moved by the sight of her red-rimmed eyes. I'm not normal, though. The sight of her broken doesn't make me want to help her. It makes me want to fuck her all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts