ARC Review: Sociopath by Lime Craven

Monday, October 27, 2014
SYNOPSIS
The name's Aeron Lore. And you are...? Such a pleasure to meet you, sweetheart. Is that a southern accent? Gorgeous. 

You fucking bitch.

Why so surprised? I control a billion dollar fortune. I control the news. Give me five minutes and I'll control you, too. If you could read my mind, you'd probably call me perverted. Unnatural. Manipulative. But I've learned to blend in, to be funny and charming. A predator in a designer suit.

I have no conscience. No shame in taking the things I want. And what I wanted was for Leontine Reeves to sell me her boutique tech firm so I could exploit the fuck out of it. Maybe exploit the fuck out of her, too, because desire haunts me in shades of scarlet, and I desire Leo most of all.


I never meant for this to be a love story. I fought it kicking and screaming, the same way Leo fought me. Now we're bleeding into each other, making a mess. A chaos. There's no control here. And what do monsters like me do when control leaves the building? 

We attack.

A Dark Romance

WARNING: 18+. Contains scenes that some may find disturbing.



PURCHASE LINKS




3 You're a HYPOCHONDRIAC not a SOCIOPATH STARS

Now I've given a lot of thought to what exactly went wrong for me while I read this book, and it's come to my attention that from the very beginning this book was never going to make it past the 3 star mark.


Why?

It probably started when the main character, Aeron who is a self-diagnosed Sociopath spoke to me the reader. His thought process was methodical, shameless and completely selfish. He told me how he perceived the world and people around him and quite frankly he really didn't think much of it all. He told me how particular he was when he was looking for his next lay, and how not just anyone would do. Here is a man ladies, that will use sex as a form of release and well... your needs come second. Text book asshole behaviour which I don't have a problem. My problem arose when said Sociopath, told me about the extensive research he'd done on the condition/affliction. Now correct if I'm wrong, yes sociopaths are very intelligent people. But one thing I imagine is that a sociopath does not research his condition, he may research how to mask it but not the characteristics of his behaviour. Which is what Aeron lead me to believe he had done, research his condition that is.

One of the biggest misconceptions about sociopaths is that we don't know what we are. Which is bullshit. We vary in levels of intelligence of self-awareness, just like anyone else; I of course, was repeatedly beaten with the superior end of the stick. I fell out of the better-than-you tree.

Me: Yes, yes Aeron, I get it. But seeing as you're the only sociopath who's said this I'm going to have to read a few more books with sociopaths as main characters. But for now, I call bullshit.


Now Aeron the self diagnosed sociopath, meets Leo when he approaches her regarding the sale of her company. Leo is a techie, I didn't really catch on to what Leo's job description was but she basically works in surveillance of the public kind. She developed a tiny camera that could be worn behind the ear, therefore allowing the user to record his surroundings. Now a lot of detail went into the where and what for of what Leo and Aeron did for a living and quite honestly I got bored of it.

I digress.


Come hunting with me, grasshoppers.

I'mma catch me a lion.

Aeron seemed to fall really quickly for Leo, I mean he was on the right path for a bit stalking her and creeping about, and also showing signs of obsession. But he became a doting lover rather quickly. He showed signs of empathy, compassion, not for anyone else but for her. Doesn't matter, this is completely out of character, yes he should find a twisted version of love but I felt like his character deviated from his condition.
I mean what the hell happened?
Did meeting Leontine cure him?

Of all the places I could find religion, lets be honest-it was always going to be in a pussy. I just never guessed it would be hers. Is that what all has been about, the seduction? Leaving offerings at her altar, putting my face in the hymn book and conjuring prayers...?


And finally I come back to my earlier statement. Too much saying and nothing to validate himself.
(view spoiler)
Unfortunately Aeron you're going to have to do a lot more than stalking and telling me how badass you are to convince me. Past transgressions do not count because quite frankly you were young and had a fucked up upbringing. Doesn't make what you did right, it just makes your actions understandable.

You need to look into OCD, apart from hypochondriac behavioural patterns. Yes, I know that being a sociopath is probably a combination of a few disorders but you my friend are way too desperate.


Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts, just because I didn't enjoy doesn't me you won't either. Read it and make your own opinion.

ARC kindly provided by author in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts