Review: Elect by Rachel Van Dyken ~ Reviewed by Christine

Thursday, September 04, 2014
SYNOPSIS

Would you die for the one you love?
Nixon Abandonato made his choice. And now he has to pay the price. Tracey is the love of his life, but being with him has made her a target of his family's enemies. The only way to keep Trace alive is convince the world she means nothing to him. 

Trace Rooks has fallen irrevocably in love with the son of her family's sworn rival, and she knows in her bones nothing can tear them apart. Until Nix suddenly pushes her away and into the arms of his best friend... But Trace isn't ready to give up on a future with Nix--and if he won't fight for them, she will. 

In the end, a sacrifice must be made. A life for a life. For what better way to cover a multitude of sins than with the blood of a sinner . . .










BUY LINKS


5 STARS


So I'm the type of reader that hates love triangles, because someone is always bound to get hurt. There's no question about whether or not this book is a love triangle. We have two heroes who are both in love with the heroine and a heroine who's not so sure who she love more than the other. I despised Trace in this book for absolutely no reason, because I felt she should be loyal to Nixon. But the events that happened in this book made for an extremely difficult situation. So while I felt Trace should be with Nixon, Chase was probably the best choice. But... I felt like Chase and Trace weren't meant for each other, even though I prefer Chase to Nixon.


This is why I don't read love triangles, people!

My favourite character


____________________________________________

About the story, along with some thoughts and quotes
____________________________________________

So Elect is the continuation of Nixon, Trace and Chase's story from Elite. Nixon and Trace are hopelessly in love, but there are threats that could be fatal for Trace. The Sicilians, the original mafia family have received some very important information, that could lead to the death and destruction of the Abandonato's. Because of this Trace's life is at risk by association. To protect her, Chase comes up with a plan, he'll pose as her boyfriend so that she doesn't get hurt. I honestly don't think Chase did this so he could have a chance to be with Trace. But I do believe that he realised his advantage afterward.

Nixon and Trace cannot be seen together, so for all intents and purposes Chase and Trace have to act like they are in love. Nixon is selfless in this book, because he lets go of Trace to protect her even though it kills him.

"I'm as much yours as you are mine-I don't share. I want to freaking murder anyone who even so much as looks in your direction, or at your shoes, and damn if I don't hate those boots that Chase got you. I want to consume you. I want to be the one that puts a smile on your face. I want to be the one that teaches you pleasure-me.


And even though Trace is loathe to do it, she agrees. She'll play the part of Chase's girlfriend even if it kills her. Her love and trust in Nixon is strong, but Chase is a great guy and she'll be spending more time with him. Chase is Trace's best friend, and he loves her. This was a recipe for heartbreak!


"Nixon." She placed her hands against my chest. "I need you to do me a favor."

"Anything." My voice was hoarse with emotion.

"Trust me. Trust in us. No matter what I say, no matter what I do-and I'll do some terrible things-know that I love you. No matter what.



And things got really difficult, I mean dangerous. This was quite frankly the best YA Mafia Romance that I've read in a while. Nixon came to a point where he realised he might just have to let go for good, but he wouldn't be Nixon if he did.


Maybe if I was a stronger man, I'd leave her and suffer alone. maybe if I was the type of guy who put others first I would walk away from her.

But she was my weakness. I'd make it two steps before turning around and begging her on my knees for her to take me back. Which meant I had to trust in us. I had to trust in her.


____________________________________________

Final Thoughts
____________________________________________

Nice save. Elite was borderline awful but Elect was fantastic. My feels were all over the place, and I love it when that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts