Review: Offside by Shay Savage

Thursday, August 07, 2014
SYNOPSIS

I have to be the best. I am the best. I’m quick. I’m strong. I’m smart. I’m the star keeper of my high school soccer team, and I’ve got major leagues scouting me. As their captain, my teammates will do anything I say – on or off the field. Girls practically beg to be added to my list of conquests. As long as I manage to go pro for the best team in the world, I won’t have to worry about my father’s wrath.

I’m Thomas Malone, and I’ve seen to it that the world revolves around me.

There’s a new girl at school, and it’s just a matter of time before she gives in to my charm. This one’s just a little more stubborn than most – she won’t even tell me her name! She’s smart, too. Maybe too smart. I can’t let her in. I can’t let anybody in. I’m not too worried, but even I have to admit she’s interfering with my focus on the goal.
Dad’s not going to be happy about that.



Did I mention I love Shakespeare? Yeah, I know. I’m a walking contradiction. According to the Bard, "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.” Somehow, I got all three.

Now how is anyone supposed to live up to that?



BUY LINK

REVIEW

5 Rumple Stars


Before I start my review, I'd like to clear something up. Yes, Offside by Shay Savage is fanfic based on Twilight. My thoughts on that? I honestly feel like this book could hold it's own without all the Twilight references because quite frankly it was bloody fantastic. But everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Now I'm done with that tidbit.
____________________________________________

About The Story
____________________________________________

So you know that little exercise they make you do in the debate society? You choose a topic and you have two people, one's against it and the other is for it. So if you're for it, you have to speak against it and vice versa. So that's what I did with this book.

You won't really enjoy this book if you don't like the following:
1. Fanfics
2. Angsty high school dramas
3. Arrogant, promiscuous etc heroes
4. Sorry the heroine is pretty feisty and stands up for herself :D
5. Did I mention drama?

I pretty much fell in love with the characters in this book from the beginning. Thomas Malone, is a star athlete. He plays goalie for his high school soccer team, and he's also pretty good, people have even gone as far as saying he's a sport prodigy. He's mother died in a car accident when he was younger and it's been just him and his Dad ever since. At school he's the arrogant ladies man, everyone respects him and if they don't they're afraid of him because of the clout his Dad has in their town. He meets Nicole when he bumps into her after a game, she makes an impression and he can't stop thinking about her. She's the first girl he's ever had to chase after, the first girl who wouldn't tell him her name.

Nicole Skye, just moved from Minneapolis to live with her father, who's the town sheriff. She's very secretive about her past and you don't really know much about her until you're well into the book. I think the fact that the book is solely in Thomas' POV is part of the reason. From a distance she seems like a well rounded teenage girl but she has dark secrets that she feels she could never tell anyone about. She and Thomas build a deep connection but they're both keeping stuff from each other... Thomas' Dad is quite controlling, he has a hand in every part of Thomas' life, down to who he spends his time with. His one and only goal is for Thomas to play professionally, and he'll do anything to make that happen.

I really can't say anymore because this is one those stories with twist's and turns and dramatic reveals.

____________________________________________

How'd I feel about it?
____________________________________________

You probably didn't know this but I love high school drama, the angst, the overly dramatic emotions, first love just everything about it. Thomas is an absolute asshole in the beginning of this book and I think a lot of people will have trouble with that, if you find yourself wanting to abandon this book because of him, don't. He changes, he's still arrogant and sometimes selfish but Nicole affected him in such a profound way. You have no idea how many times I had tears in my eyes while reading this book. I laughed too, Nicole and Thomas' banter was hilarious! Thomas, was outrageous at times, you messed with his Rumple he'll wipe the floor with you!

LOVE. LOVE. LOVED.

____________________________________________

Some of my favourite quotes
____________________________________________

"You are so fucking beautiful," I told her between kisses, "it fucking hurts to look at you."

____________________________________________


In Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, Launcelot said, "but at the length truth will out." Somehow, I would have to keep her in the dark about how horrible I was.

____________________________________________


She might not have the glamour of some model types, but she had something more natural-more undeniably feminine about her. She also had strength-not just in her body but in her spirit.

____________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts