Review + Excerpt Anointed by Charity B

Monday, November 05, 2018

$0.99 Release Day SALE and FREE on KU!!
Cover Design: Jay Aheer/Simply Defined Art





Blurb:
Zebadiah
The last time I saw her, she was marked with blood.
Excommunicated.
Now she’s returned, along with my temptation.
Our touch is blasphemous.
Perverse.
They say she’s tainted, but they will not speak against me.
His holy blood is in my veins and my word is truth.
I’m the fucking Prophet.
Laurel Ann
For twelve years, I fought for my soul in this evil world.
Until my God sent him.
My oldest friend. The only boy I ever loved.
What we’re doing risks everything, yet we can’t stop.
When I sin with him, it’s the purest I’ve ever felt.
I lived half my life with the Philistines and I know what they call us.
Cult. Freaks. Fanatics.
But they’re wrong. We aren’t any of those things.
For we are the Anointed.

***This is a full length, standalone novel containing disturbing scenes and sensitive subject matter that may be triggering to some readers.

4,5-5 stars

I'm new to this author and I'm speechless!I didn't know what to expect I'm telling you this book blew me away!

description


I like the way the story goes and that we get to know about Zebadiah and Laurel Ann's friendship.These characters were so unique and I was intrigued with the story.


The story is dark and raw, I find the storyline unique and I was hooked till the end!

Excerpt
    I’ve been at it for what seems like hours when I hear the cock-a-doodle-doo of a new morning starting. I look out the barn window, wiping the sweat on my sleeve. I finally finished my own chores about an hour ago, so I started on my brother Ezekiel’s. I would have been done sooner, but my side and back hurt terribly, making me move slower.
    I finish mucking out the final horse stall when the barn door opens.
    “You didn’t have to do that,” Ezekiel says as he holds out a glass of milk.
    I gulp it down in one drink before wiping my mouth. “Yes, well, I wasn’t getting any sleep anyway.”
    He nods toward the house. “Your ma had a rough night last night with father. You might want to go check on her before we head to school.”
    Anger bubbles in my veins like water on a stove. His problem was with me, not my mother. The worst part is, she’ll take it and apologize just like the rest of them.
    “Fuck.”
    “Don’t let father hear you curse like that.”
    I scoff as I head toward the house. What else could he take from me that he didn’t take last night?
    I walk up the porch steps and pass a few of my mothers and sisters in the dining room. Sister Karen, Ezekiel’s birth mother, gives me a sad nod.
    “Blessed morning, Zebadiah.”
    “Blessed morning, Sister Karen. Where’s Mama?”
    Nodding down the hall she turns back to her cleaning. “She’s in her room, dear.”
    “Thank you, ma’am.”
    I leave her to go to my mother’s chambers. Walking into her room, I find her at her vanity. As soon as I see the bluish bruises around her neck, in the mirror, I hold down a sob.
    “I’m so sorry, Mama.”
    She gives me a small smile that does nothing to comfort me. “Come here, baby.”
    I roll my eyes. “I’m not your baby, Ma. I’m nearly a grown man.”
    “You’ll always be my baby. Now come here.”
    I go to her and do my best to mask my own discomfort as I kneel on the floor at her feet. “He hurt you because of me.”
    She reaches out to hold my face. “Why did you do it, sweetheart? Why would you risk your soul for that girl?”
    I love my mother more than almost anything, but I hate her talking about Laurel Ann like this is all her fault. “’That girl’ is my best friend, and she was terrified when she got her blood. Rightfully so, look what happened!”
    “This is her purpose, Zebadiah. I know you care for her… just know that this, too, shall pass.”
    “Yeah…”
    “Zaaron always has a plan. You know that.”
    Sometimes I get the sense that she can’t have a single original thought. All of her words are my father’s. I often wonder who the twelve-year-old girl that was bound to him was.
    “I need to get to school.”
    She nods as she turns back to her vanity. “Of course, sweetheart. Have a blessed day.”
    I stand and kiss her temple. “You have a blessed day, too, Ma.”
    Leaving out the back, so I have less chance of seeing my father, I make my way to the schoolhouse. I realize I’ve never been to school without Laur. I don’t want to go without her, and in this moment, I decide I’m not going to.


1 comment:

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts