ARC REVIEW: Stormswept by Sabrina Jeffries/ Deborah Martin

Monday, June 20, 2016










New York Times bestseller Sabrina Jeffries reignites a daring love affair in this intriguing tale of desire and deception—originally written as Deborah Martin and newly revised for today’s audience.
The first wedding night that Lady Juliana St. Albans spent with the dark and daring Rhys Vaughan was intoxicating, the heady culmination of her new husband’s driving hunger and her own awakened sensuality. When he mysteriously disappeared the next morning, she waited for him in hope and desperation.
And when he was finally proclaimed dead in a shipwreck, she bitterly mourned the loss of her love.
The second wedding night that Juliana spent with Rhys Vaughan was six years later, after he returned to claim her just as she was about to wed another. This Rhys was different—bolder, harder, and convinced that she’d betrayed him. Only their blazing passion remains from their years apart. But is it enough to light their way through the maze of mystery, menace, and mistrust—to the love they once shared and would have to find again?






The bleak abyss in his eyes made her ache to comfort him. But how did one comfort a wounded beast who bit anyone who ventured near?


I feel like I should be getting a bit worried. Either I'm getting really easy to please which I doubt or I have fantastic taste in books... I'm thinking it's probably the latter. This book was so amazing, as in blow my mind, I need to hug this book and author really hard good. I read a review that compared this book to The Count of Monte Cristo which I wholeheartedly agree with, but I also have to say that while there are similarities, as I read it and became more and more invested this story, it really just became a story of its own.

Now one thing I wasn't prepare for while reading this book was the angst, the delicious angst that had me so emotional and just periodically screaming at the characters in this book.
You love each other! Isn't that enough? Stop torturing one another!
Let's be honest though. Would I have enjoyed it as much had it been an easy read. A walk in the park? I doubt it.

Stepping closer to her, he lowered his voice. "You think to purge me of my anger with all your tales, but 'twas my anger that kept me alive-and I will honer its cry for vengeance.


Juliana meets Rhys while attending a radical gathering, she's in disguise as a commoner, what's worse is that she's an Englishwoman surrounded by the Welsh. This was an epic romance and the lovers were most certainly star-crossed. What's worse is that Juliana's father is the new owner of what used to Rhys' inheritance! Can this situation get any worse? Yes, it can. As you've most probably guessed Rhys and Julian fall in love, and on their wedding night Rhys is torn from Juliana's arms. He is impressed in the English Navy, and at the time that was as good as a death sentence.

Six years later, Rhys is back. He's come back to claim his wife and his inheritance. The fact is that I don't want to give the entire story away so I'll go back to waxing poetic about how much I loved this book. This wasn't a particularly long book, it was a good length so I was really happy about the fact that the plot and characters were very well developed. The story starts off with Rhys and Juliana reuniting and then goes back to how they met leading up to the scene that first began the story. Rhys is Welsh, and a proud Welshman at that, and I loved how the author grew his character, I honestly felt like I read two books when I'd finished reading this book. There was just so much goodness packed into one good solid read. Juliana's character was fantastic! I loved her strength and courage, I loved how she stayed strong, even when I questioned Rhys' love because of the way he treated her. But the fact that the story is told in dual POV remedied any doubts I had.

When he pivoted to show her his back, she gasped. She'd expected scars, but the reality was far worse. There were no scars on his upper back at all. It was simply an expanse of mottled skin that looked like healed pulp.


If you're an HR fan, if you love angsty reads with loads of conflict between the main character. If you love it when the couple has to overcome scads of obstacles to be together then this is your book. Sabrina Jeffries is a new author to me, but I'll definitely be reading more of her work!


"By thunder," he murmured, "you taste sweeter with each kiss.What sort of sorcery is this?"



ARC kindly provided by publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts