NEW REVIEW: The Devil Wears Kilts by Suzanne Enoch

Wednesday, May 11, 2016










On a mission to rescue his runaway sister from the lure of flowery compliments and a useless lot of satin-clad scalawags disguised by their snooty titles, Ranulf MacLawry, Marquis of Glengask, has roared into British society like a storm across the Highlands. But he's about to find out that satin has its appeal, especially when it covers the curves of Miss Lady Charlotte Hanover—whose tongue is as sharp as her skin is soft…
Lady Charlotte Hanover has had her fill of hot-headed men, having lost her fiancĂ© in an utterly unnecessary duel. When did brawn ever triumph over brains? And yet there is something solid and appealing about the brash Highlander who's as dangerous in the ballroom as in battle. Sometimes bigger really is better…







Ye've taken in a member of my family. That makes ye clan to me.""But we're not Scottish."He tilted his head. "Nobody's perfect."




Well that was quite refreshing, although the heavy Scottish brogue was a bit over the top. I'd like to label this HR as clean but I'd be lying since there were some raunchy scenes but there was also something distinctly wholesome about it. Maybe its Enoch's trademark style although I do feel like the brogue would start losing the novelty after reading the second book.

The story starts of with a pretty light plot. Ranulf the Marquis of Glengask's sister, Rowena wants an English season. But Ranulf being the proud Highlander he is will hear nothing of it. That is until Rowena runs off to London in a phaeton with nothing but her personal maid for protection. This all leads to Ranulf meeting Charlotte Hanover. The daughter of his later mothers dear friend.

I guess this is where I say, there was no insta-love, and that Charlotte slowly started warming up to Ranulf. And although Ranulf was attracted to her, he definitely didn't like her at first. That would be the truth, but I do feel like insta-love would've done well with this story especially with Ranulf being the kind of man that he is. There were a few conflicts between our two main characters mainly with Charlotte feeling that Ranulf needed to put his Scottish ways aside and try to be more English. And in the beginning I was a bit scared because no one likes a heroine who wants to change the foundation of the heroes character, and what I like even less is a hero who will bend over backwards to change not realizing that it isn't worth it. But thankfully that wasn't the case here.


You look like a Greek carving," she mused, her fingers warm and unsteady against his skin."Nae. A Scottish one."



The author threw in a smidgen of mystery and whodunnit. I really enjoyed the drama of the last chapter, the story really did end with quite a bit of flair. What girl doesn't love a happy ending? I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series, hopefully the brogue grows on me.

"The only thing I ever exaggerate aboot is the size of the fish I nearly caught. Ye're Aphrodite, leannan. Ye take my breath away."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts