NEW REVIEW: It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

Sunday, March 13, 2016

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas
Published by Harper Collins
Published on October 13, 2009
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 400







Four young ladies enter London society with one necessary goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So they band together, and a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

It happened at the ball...

Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden...

When Marcus shockingly—and dangerously—swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed...thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act!

It happened one autumn...

Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable...as his bride?


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCKERC/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=httpwwwgoodco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000FCKERC&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2




  

“There is nothing on earth more beautiful to me than your smile...no sound sweeter than your laughter...no pleasure greater than holding you in my arms. I realized today that I could never live without you, stubborn little hellion that you are. In this life and the next, you’re my only hope of happiness. Tell me, Lillian, dearest love...how can you have reached so far inside my heart?”

I have another favourite in the Wallflower Series! Lillian Bowman,  is one of my favourite heroines in Historical Romance. I feel like this review would better as a gif review, but I've been trying to make a concentrated effort in writing reviews, so please bear with me while I try to articulate my feelings. First of all, shout out to Soraya Naomi for recommending this series to me, because I would have never read it had it not been for the glowing praise she gave it! While I did find the beginning a bit slow, because yes I want them to start making out immediately... in hindsight I enjoyed reading about Lillian and her sister Daisy's relationship so much! They were such a wicked pair, and they fought constantly but their love for each other was so sweet!

Lillian Bowman, is probably the most fiercely independent and outspoken member of the Wallflowers and I loved that about her (which is completely out of character for me). I loved Marcus Westcliff, he came off as brooding, self involved and dictatorial, but honestly that wasn't how he was at all. He was a caring and compassionate man, and honestly being the Earl calls for a certain rigidness if you are in charge so many people. 

“Oh, Daisy, it's revolting the way I want to fawn all over him. I'm afraid I'm going to do something dreadfully silly today. Burst into song or something. For God's sake, don't let me.” 

Lillian's and Westcliff's interactions were either heated and sensual or completely hilarious. Their banter was so entertaining, even reading about them when they were in bed was funny at times. The conflicts surrounding why they couldn't be together where absolute nonsense but unfortunately the peerage dictated their lives. And the countess (Marcus' mother) was absolutely ruthless, I hated her! I'm really worried about St. Vincent (a good friend of Marcus') his actions near the end were unforgivable but I hope the issue can be resolved. Speaking of St. Vincent, he's paired with Evie in the next book Devil In Winter! A rake and an innocent?! Sign me up!

“Yesterday I finally realized that all the things I thought were wrong about you were actually the things I enjoyed most. I don't give a damn what you do, so long as it pleases you. Run barefoot on the front lawn. Eat pudding with your fingers. Tell me to go to hell as often as you like. I want you just as you are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts