ARC Review: wife number seven by Melissa Brown

Tuesday, July 08, 2014
SYNOPSIS

Lipstick. Bright, red lipstick. Nothing but lipstick.
Even though it’s against our faith to wear a color that screams of sexual promiscuity and deviant behavior, I’m not allowed to protest.

But, I want to.

So badly.



You see, there’s more to me than the braid that spills down my back.

More to me than the layers of heavy fabric that maintain my modesty.

And so much more than the oppressive wedding band that adorns my finger--the same band that each of my sister wives wear.

So much more.

To protest would be sinful.

I must keep sweet, that is my duty.


So I’ll wear the lipstick. I’ll do as I’m told.

And I’ll do my best to silence the resistance within me, to push him from my mind.

If only my heart would do the same.


EXPECTED PUBLICATION: July 20

REVIEW

4.5 Be Sweet When You Want Stars

Cue the violins :)


This was my first book my Melissa Brown, and to say that I'm impressed is just skimming the surface of my feels right now. You know that feeling you get when you read a story that's so well written and so fresh? Well that's the feeling I have right now. Wife Number Seven, was like sitting down with Brinley and having a good chat. Not once did I feel like a was someone looking in while reading this book, I actually felt like I was a part of the story.

So, if you haven't figure it out yet, Wife Number Seven is about a community that practices polygamy. The woman's role is too serve her husband, the prophet and the Heavenly father, her role is to also have children, she also has sister wives who have the same duty. Now there are two sides to this story people, and Melissa wrote is so well and I felt like she gave me, the reader, a choice on how she wanted to feel about the subject this book addresses. Polygamy is a controversial subject, and while I connected with Brinley's character, I could also understand the way her sister wives felt.


We take our freedom as woman for granted, and rightfully so because it's our to take. But when you imagine another woman not having the same freedom as you do, you suddenly appreciate it more. That's what I loved about this book, it dealt with a very real subject. Brinley's awakening is beautiful to read about, because that's what this book is about an Awakening. "Watching" her become a stronger and more assertive woman was awesome and I loved that the characters in this book were so perfectly imperfect.

Wife Number Seven, touched me and is one of those books that will stay with me for a long time.

ARC kindly provided by author in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts