Christine's Review: Promises Hurt by Elle Brooks

Friday, September 19, 2014

I wasn't planning on falling for Ethan Jamison, hell I wasn't planning on our paths ever crossing. He’s the most popular guy at school and a complete player. Me; I’m the perpetual good girl, trying to carry out one last request. But when you make a promise, how far do you go to see it through? 

~ Blair 


It’s a running joke that I’m a terrible liar, if only people knew the truth. My whole life has been spent making excuses and deflecting questions. I was pretty good at it until Blair Thomas entered my world. She saw through the mask that everyone is so willing to accept. She makes me want to tell her all my secrets, but can she promise to keep them? 

~ Ethan



BUY LINKS


4 STARS


Okay so I literally just finished reading this book, I could have probably finished it last night but I was way too angry. I'll mention why later in my review. But right now after that humongous cliffhanger, all I'm feeling is this:


Did the book to have end at the worst possible moment?

Anyway here's an extended synopsis:
Blair Thomas, just lost her friend, Em, to leukemia. The day after Em died, Blair gets a letter Em wrote before she died. Em had a bucket list, a few things she wanted to do before she died. Unfortunately she couldn't do everything, and in the letter she asks Blair to finish the list for her. There are seven things Em couldn't do, one of them being losing her virginity to Ethan Jamison. Blair doesn't really think much of the list until she gets a call from Ethan, she's his new math tutor.

Blair and Ethan never really meant to fall for each other. Ethan being popular and a member of a band, he's got girls running in circles around him. Blair, being a self professed geek who's actually pretty confident and likes the way she looks. But when Ethan sees her, okay yeah he checks her out and gets an instant boner. But, when he starts talking to her, they click in the best of ways. Getting into other girls pants, seems like a long forgotten memory to Ethan.

She's going to want answers when she wakes up. I don't know if I can give them to her. But for the first time in my life, I want o. I want to tell this girl everything. I want this girl period

Ethan, is keeping some really dark secrets. Everyone sees this guy who has everything, and wants for nothing. But they have no idea how difficult his life really is. How difficult it is for him to keep up the happy facade. And for the first time in his life he confides in someone, he tells Blair his darkest secret.


Okay yeah, I see you rolling you eyes. But I really enjoyed this part of the book, they're angsty teenagers. Everything is intense, nothing is just whatever lol! Ethan and Blair were ridiculously cute together, and yeah Ethan had the constant darkness hanging over his shoulder but when he was with Blair he could forget and he could be a normal teenage boy with his girl.


"Can I keep you?" I smile as I let out a long exhale. 
"Only forever." 
"Promise?"
"Cross my heart," I tell him as my eyelids drop and I let sleep claim me.


Blair struggles with Ethan's past though, with every girl in school giving her the stink eye because she took away prime meat. Her confidence levels are a little low. But Ethan was endearing patient and super sweet, the complete opposite to his previous persona, Blair changed him.


"You're amazing Blair. I'm kinda crazy for you."
I need her to know how I feel. To know that she's not just some random hook up for me. I just need her.


So I really enjoyed this story, but here comes the ranty bit, that is also a spoiler.
(view spoiler)

That was a really shitty thing to do, Ethan!!!

Anyway if you're looking for something sweet, but sad and has a liberal dose of teen angst. Here you go! Oh and it's got some pretty steamy scenes too!


"You're a dork."
"You're an asshole."
"You're kind of perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts