Christine's Review: Lovely Vicious by Sara Wolf

Saturday, September 13, 2014
SYNOPSIS

Fire meets ice. Love meets hate. 

Seventeen-year-old Isis Blake hasn’t fallen in love in three years, nine weeks, and five days, and after what happened last time, she intends to keep it that way. Since then she’s lost eighty-five pounds, gotten four streaks of purple in her hair, and moved to the Buttcrack-of-Nowhere Ohio to help her mom escape a bad relationship. 

All the girls in her new school want one thing – Jack Hunter, the Ice Prince of East Summit High. Hot as an Armani ad, smart enough to get into Yale, and colder than the Arctic, Jack Hunter’s never gone out with anyone. Sure, people have seen him downtown with beautiful women, but he’s never given high school girls the time of day. Until Isis punches him in the face.

Jack’s met his match. Suddenly everything is a game.

The goal: Make the other beg for mercy. 

The game board: East Summit High.

The reward: Something neither of them expected.

**This book contains language, some of which may be unsuitable for younger readers. 

**This is the first book in the LOVELY VICIOUS series.




BUY LINKS

KOBO


5 STARS!



Whenever I finish reading an amazing book, I clam up! I have no idea how to express my feelings. So yeah, I loved this book so so so much!

As depressing as the quote above is, I wasn't really depressed by this book. Maybe sad and at times a little tearful, but this book was a medley of teen angst covered in some pretty wicked humour. First and foremost I should probably stress that I do love teen angst, all kinds of it! I love going through the awkwardness, unnecessary self loathing and torturous romance... in books.

I loved, Isis! She has some serious issues but don't for one minute think that she's a doormat because of it. She was loud, obnoxious, opinionated, smart, witty and incredibly loyal to her friend Kayla. Even though I couldn't stand Kayla. Isis is a transfer student, so she's the new girl and reformed fat girl. At her old school she was known as the fat girl, a boy she calls Nameless broke her heart and she can't stand to hear his name said. She lives with her mother who was recently physically assaulted by her ex-boyfriend. Her mother suffers from PTSD, and Isis has become the parent and her mother the child (my personal observation). So she they've move and she's started a new school and goes to her first party. Which is where it all begins...with a kiss.

I like to think being genuinely nice is one of my strengths though, you know, minus punching guys who deserve it. So I'll be nice. I'll keep myself from everyone else. No one wants ugly. Even if they did, it wouldn't be good for them. I'm loud and angry and sarcastic. No one wants that. Nameless taught me that too. He taught me to spare everyone from myself. That's true kindness.


Enter Jack AKA The Ice Prince. Breaker of many hearts and doesn't give a shit about it either. Actually he probably isn't even aware of it, Isis zeroes in on him, while her friend Kayla continues her 6 year crush fest on him. Jack hurts Kayla's feelings, Isis is put out on behalf of her friend and vows to make him apologise, and so a war begins. Who will out smart the other?

My Thoughts


Isis, is the epitome of an outcast. She doesn't fit in anywhere, but then again she doesn't feel like she has to. There's some bullying and threats but she never takes it lying down. Isis fought all the way, I wanted to smack her at times because her loyalty to Kayla was infuriating. Kayla may have been sweet but she was also selfish, and even blatantly abused Isis' friendship.

This book does not deal with light subject matter, but it does address it with humour which I did appreciate. Nothing was trivialised but it's really difficult reading about a depressed and whiney heroine. Isis, was a breathe of fresh air.

So if you're looking for a YA book, with some drama, angst, romance and hilarious and smart banter this is your book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts