Christine's ARC Review: Torture In Her Soul by J.M. Darhower

Monday, September 29, 2014
SYNOPSIS

Don't say it unless you mean it…

It's a simple concept, one I've said time and again, but something people don't seem to comprehend. You should choose every syllable carefully, because you never know when somebody will hold you to your word.

Somebody like me.

I'm not a good man. I'm not. I know. I have enough darkness inside of me to rid the world of every stitch of light. But there's one I could never harm, one light I couldn't bring myself to snuff out.

Karissa.

She thinks I'm a monster, and maybe I am. I taunt her with my touch, get a thrill out of torturing her soul. But I'm not the only one. The world is full of monsters, and I'm not the most dangerous one out there.

Not even close…

God help me, I love her.

I do.


And God help anyone who tries to take her from me.



PURCHASE LINK

AMAZON



PLEASE NOTE: This book picks up where Monster in His Eyes left off, it's not a repeat of the last book in Naz's POV, but a continuation. (hope that makes sense)

4.5 STARS!


So if you enjoyed the first book in this series, Monster in His Eyes, you would've been just as ecstatic as I was when you found out there was a second book. You can't even begin to imagine how happy I was when I realised Torture to Her Soul, was told solely from Naz's POV. In Monster in His Eyes, Naz was a mystery, his character seemed aloof yet he seemed to soften when he was around, Karissa (no pun intended)


I didn't set out to love her.

I didn't even plan to like her.
But it happened... we happened... and I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that.


I got a front row seat to Naz's head in this book, the way he thought, his reaction to every hit he made, and lastly the way Karissa had changed him. Don't for one minute think that Naz has suddenly grown a conscious. He always gets the job done no matter the cost, with cold precision. But the whole dynamic changes when he's job begins to threaten the woman he loves. For the first time he begins to question the boss, and himself...

The street soldiers, cruel thugs who lie, cheat, kill, and steal, shy away, whereas little Karissa, half my size with barely any physical strength, never hesitated to stare me straight in the eyes, like she was reading my soul with just a glance.

In this story which is also the last book in the series, Naz and Karissa are living together. Naz proposed in the previous book and Karissa accepted but because of the events that lead to her father's death and caused her mother to live her life on the run, their relationship no longer feels as sincere as it used to be, well at least not for Karissa. She obviously still loves Naz, but the side he's shown of himself has also made her fear him. They barely speak, Karissa rarely even looks at Naz.
Naz won't let her leave.


She's just as fucked up as I am. 

And maybe I did that to her.
Maybe it's wrong of me.
But fuck if it doesn't feel right this way.



This book was quite hefty, not too long but longer than other books I've read. So I think my only gripe with this book was I think the author should have taken about 20 to 30% of the beginning of this book and made it a novella. Reason being, while I enjoyed every bit of this book, the beginning or introduction lacked direction. It was just a lot of information and background about Naz, and also about Naz and Karissa's struggle to put what Naz had done behind them. So quite honestly this good have all been in a novella.


I'll give her anything.

I'll tear my fucking chest open with my bare hands, rip it out and hand it to her, if it's what she needs.
All she has to do is tell me.
All she has to do is ask.


So I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free and not tell you what actually happens. After being injured when leaving a club one night, Naz is forced to do something he never wanted to do, because doing it would hurt, Karissa. And with the increasing pressure from his boss and a leak in the midst, Naz doesn't know who to trust anymore. Can he trust the woman he loves, he finds himself questioning the organisation that has been there for him ever since he lost his family all those years ago.

My enemy was my enemy until I looked inside of her and realised we weren't so different after all.

I was very satisfied with the ending of this book, the dark intensity of Naz's thoughts was something I loved. He was broody, and at times almost obsessive in his love for Karissa. I love that in a hero. It was darkly romantic but did not lose the grittiness you get when you read a true mafia story.


I've said it before.

I'll say it again.
I'm not a good man.
I never will be.


ARC kindly provided by author in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts