Review: Elite by Rachel Van Dyken

Monday, August 04, 2014
SYNOPSIS
When I won the annual Eagle Elite College Scholarship lottery, I was thrilled. After all, my grandma had just died and I wanted to take care of my aging grandpa -- he couldn't be a farmer in Wyoming forever. And graduating from Eagle Elite meant opportunity.

But I wasn't counting on meeting Nixon.

Nor was I counting on the rules of the Elect.

1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at The Elect.
3. Do not speak to The Elect.

And worst of all? Don't discover the secret they hide, because in the end, you may just realize... it's about you.

*This is a New Adult Book, blood, violence, cursing, sexual references, and drug use. Not recommended for those under 17.*





REVIEW


3 Elite Stars


"Maybe the world isn't as shiny and fun as you once thought. People are mean. Humanity is a cruel joke, Trace. I'm just trying to prevent them from getting the last laugh."
____________________________________________

Let me explain
____________________________________________

Every year Eagle Elite College, has a lottery. The winner gets an all expenses paid education at the college, this year the winner is, Trace Rooks. This is her opportunity to make her grandparents proud, by going to Eagle Elite College she'll be set for life, she'll get the best job with the best salary. She's pretty excited until she gets to the school and is immediately knocked down a peg by a "group" called the Elite. They basically run the school, Nixon is the leader and what he says goes. If she doesn't conform, she suffers.

There are rules to follow:

1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at The Elect.
3. Do not speak to The Elect.


*rolls eyes*
___________________________________________

What did I think of this book?
___________________________________________

If you know me well, you'll know that I love outrageous plots with equally outrageous characters. Elite by Rachel Van Dyken only had one of these coveted points, I could have given this book five stars, I really would have. Why didn't I? Elite, had an unbelievable plot, that does not bother me. I found it all quite exciting. At first I wasn't really impressed with the characters, but hey I had time so I read on. And everything was going all hunky dory, until I realised it wasn't happening, I didn't like Trace or Nixon.

Nixon, was aloof and cold, and Trace... Trace was just dumb. There I said it, I'm fine and it's over. I can't begin to tell you at what point did Trace and Nixon decide they had feelings for each other. There was no build up, all of a sudden they were reciting sonnets (okay not sonnets) to each other and I was like WTF. Nixon's assholish behavior was far from cute and the fact that Trace never put up a fight was disappointing.

And then there was the Taylor Swift reference. The worst thing you could do in a book is mention an actual celebrity and then have said celebrity have a fictional relationship with a fictional character. I mean COME ON! Taylor Swift wrote Trouble because of Nixon. Look I no it's a book, but please go fly a flippin' kite!

I did like some parts of this book, I have this embarrassing thing I do. I love watching high school drama's with clicks and the awkward nerdy girl falling for the hot jock. So I was definitely entertained in the aspect although it wasn't exactly like that. Chase, is a side character that I loved, although I don't think he should be with Trace. I probably like him more than I do, Nixon.

This book lacked structure. Things just happened randomly and then they were over, and I was like HUH? I liked it when Nixon beat people up, I enjoyed it when they had to run from people shooting at them. I loved the excitement and supposed danger. I'm not sure why I'm giving this a three but I need to read the next book because I really need to know what happens next!


I couldn't figure him out.
I don't think he even had himself figured out. 
He was like a giant puzzle with broken and missing pieces.
And as much as I new I would regret it...I was on a hunt, for the missing and damaged ones. Every. Last. One.


2 comments:

  1. Great review Christine!
    Well, this was one of those books that wasn't for me... I lost count the times I rolled my eyes while reading this.

    Jo @ A Bookworm Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo :) I had the same reaction, but for some reason I decided to add the next book lol

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts