Review: Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Two years ago, sixteen-year-old Jamie Henry breathed a sigh of relief when a judge sentenced his older sister to juvenile detention for burning down their neighbor’s fancy horse barn. The whole town did. Because Crazy Cate Henry used to be a nice girl. Until she did a lot of bad things. Like drinking. And stealing. And lying. Like playing weird mind games in the woods with other children. Like making sure she always got her way. Or else.

But today Cate got out. And now she’s coming back for Jamie.

Because more than anything, Cate Henry needs her little brother to know the truth about their past. A truth she’s kept hidden for years. A truth she’s not supposed to tell. 

Trust nothing and no one as you race toward the explosive conclusion of this gripping psychological thriller from the William C. Morris Award-winning author of Charm & Strange.








                               
BUY LINK




REVIEW


Where do I start, I want this be a spoiler-free review! Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn, is the kind of dark read I would have loved during my teenage years! My head would've been clean and clear of all other mind bending reads and I wouldn't have been jaded by all the completely dark stuff I have read. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed this book, there was a dark and deep sense of foreboding the entire time I read it!

Jamie, is in high school and apart from having to deal with the general issues an adolescent normally deals with, he has the dark cloud of what his sister did hanging over him. After his sister, Catie, burned down a horse barn, and was then sentenced to 30 months in juvenile detention, Jamie's life went downhill. The friend that he did have deserted him, he stopped getting invitations, he became the outcast.

Everything takes a turn for the worst, when Catie is released and she starts making threatening calls to Jamie. And that's about all I can say, without spoiling the entire book! The book is told from Jamie's POV, Jamie is a damaged soul, his and Catie's mother died when he was only 6 years old and out of the two of them, he's the worn that handled it the worst. He sees a psychologist to help him deal with it, but he still has problems...

While reading this book I was immediately suspicious of every situation, which is how I always am when reading a mind-fuck. I was on the look out, and I had two theories which started fading into one at about 60% and then became one at 80% and I was correct. Funny enough it didn't take away my enjoyment of the story but what happened from 80% onward was absolutely mind blowing... for me.





Complicit, was an absolutely enjoyable and well thought out mind fuck. This book was good, although I did feel like the ending needed a bit more work because that's just how I am, I like detail.

I'd definitely recommend this book if you're looking for a mind fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts