The Taking by Kimberly Derting: Review

Friday, May 09, 2014
The Taking (The Taking, #1)

Title: The Taking
Author: Kimberly Derting
Rating: 5 Stars
Genre: YA, Science Fiction


So upon reading this book, my initial reaction went something like this:

As in I couldn't articulate, look I'm a novice to YA science fiction particularly when it comes to aliens. But I have watched many movies, I absolutely love watching anything of the extraterrestrial kind. That being said, although I'm a novice, I do feel that this book was very light science fiction, it really appealed to me because first and foremost this book is a romance, it's a coming of age story. A book about a young girl having to survive when everyone has deserted her except for this one boy, who goes by the name of Tyler.

☆☆☆WARNING HERE BE INSTA-LOVE☆☆☆
Begone all ye non believers lol! The book is set at a fast pace, it's gripping and yes the word love is thrown around. Thing is I've never had a problem with insta-love as long as the author can sell it to me. I'm a romantic at heart, and I do believe in an attraction or connection so intense that the couple "instantly" falls in love.

So What's It About?
Well in a nutshell it's about this:


and this:

Not so much about the latter though, but you get my meaning. Kyra who's a soft-ball champion, has a fight with her dad while on her way home from a game. Her Dad stops the car at her her request, they're in a remote area, Kyra jumps out the car and begins to run. All of a sudden there's a flash of blinding light and the story begins.


From then onwards the book is literally a fast-paced exciting adventure. We have secret agents, an unknown government organisation and a sweet, romantic love story. Didn't you ever wish you had super powers when you were younger? Imagined all the cool stuff you could do with them, and the best way you could show them off? Because what would be the point if you couldn't show them off?

The Taking by Kimberly Derting fed that craving of mine. It was an absolute pleasure to read, funny, exciting, held my attention. If you're not to picky and looking for a fun YA sci-fi read, then I highly recommend this book. And the ending was one of those cliffy's you love to hate, leaves you wanting more but incredibly satisfying!



The look on my face when I finished reading!



My Favourite Quotes

1. I bet I could implode, disintergrate into ash on this very spot where I was perched in my hospital gown on the edge of the bed, and no one would even notice.

2. And I had been dead in a way. For five long years everyone had mourned me. They'd let me go and "moved on," and everything had changed.

And now I was back. A corpse with a second chance.



Add to your TBR: 
http://bit.ly/1fTXMxb

Buy Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts