Review: Reboot by Amy Tintera

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Synopsis

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).


Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.





5 STARS



Wait for it, I'm about to launch into some intense rambling!



Since I've started this, dare I say, YA Experiment of sorts. I've realised a few things about my reading habits. First of all, contrary to popular belief I am not a newbie when it comes to YA PNR, sci-fi and fantasy, once upon a time that used to be all I read, it's probably been about four years since I was strictly just a YA reader. But I will also add that the YA genre has changed a lot, for the better thank goodness. Back to my realisations: I've come to realise that I absolutely love Dystopia, as in I would cuddle with it, if it was possible. Secondly I can't say I'm much of a fantasy or mythology fan, yes there are the odd books in between but what really gets me going is futuristic, dystopian, government secrets, super powers and thriller type stories.





Now about the book: Reboot by Amy Tintera
While reading this book, I convinced myself that I was a Reboot and and to anyone who tried to tell me different, my reaction would have probably been something like this:


Tintera took Zombies and gave them an even more lethal twist! We're introduced to a Dystopian America, where disease, famine and poverty are rife, there are slums everywhere. We have the KDH virus, it's fatal, but there's this one little thing about it. If it kills you, you either die like any normal person would or you wake up (Reboot) the longer it takes for you to wake up, the more powerful you are as a Reboot. Wren aka 178, died when she was 12 years old, three bullets to the chest, she woke up 178 minutes later. She's the highest number in her facility and the most lethal. No one messes with her. That's until a new batch of newbies (fresh Reboots) arrive, and among them is Callum aka 22, he woke up after just 22 minutes, he's the weakest Reboot in the lot, which mean he's also the most human.

As you might have guessed, Humans fear what they do not understand. So basically Reboot have become enslaved, they now work for the humans doing their dirty work. Reboots have become a way for an organisation called HARC to control society. HARC portrays the Reboots as unfeeling monsters, who's only use is working protecting society even to their own detriment. Wren has never questioned her life as a Reboot in the facility, she's never had reason to. The life she remembers before she was a Reboot was filled with hunger, druggie parents and the filth of the slums, she's never known any better. Until her only frien, Ever starts showing weird symptoms. And with Callum in the picture, for the first time she thinks she may know what it feels like to be wanted. She begins to question how the humans see and treat her.

Sounds intense right? Well it was!


***WARNING: HERE BE INSTA-LOVE***


Their attraction is instant, uncanny. Seriously Callum was head over heels the instant he saw Wren and it was fucking cute! The amount of cuddling and kissing and adorable words that left Callum's mouth gave me little butterflies in my tummy. If this boy was real I would devour him, that's how sweet he was.

Reboot is jammed packed with action, mystery and romance. This is one of those books that could probably be an awesome movie! Reading this book was exciting and the writing was easy and flowed well. It sucked me right in, when I read a book I'd like to feel like I'm a part of the story instead of a bystander. I'm shameless, I'm gonna market this one and tell you, look even if you don't want to read it, if you have a teenager. Let her read it!

BUY LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Read More Sleep Less Blog
Template by These Paper Hearts